1 lb of dry split peas
2 carrots -chopped
3 small potatoes -chopped
2 small onions -chopped
8 cups of water
half a spoonful of minced garlic
Seasonings- garlic, onion, salt and pepper
– I also like to add Ham or a ham bone
1. Add every thing to the pot and cook for about 1 hour 🙂
Pam/ cooking spray
-I used 4 medium potatoes for 8 people, next time I will make more. Maybe one small potato per person
1. Cut the potatoes whatever shape you would like, normally I slice them to look like circles, this time I cut them to look more like fries. The thinner you cut them the faster they will cook.
2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees
3. Spray cooking sheet with Pam, lay potatoes out on pan.
4. Spray the Potatoes, then sprinkle you choice of seasonings.
– I like salt, garlic salt/powder, onion salt/power and pepper. Sometimes I add Cajun or oregano, whatever I feel like at the time.
5. When they start to look done, flip them. If you want you can add seasons to this side as well.
6. Bake 20-50min, depending on how big you cut the potatoes and how crispy you like them.
– One batch took 25min and the other batch took 45min.
Matt’s Plate of Food
Sadly, I forgot to take a picture of my plate with fries still on it.
The other night Gongzi made a yummy meal that I am excited to make for myself someday soon. I really like this soup because Ben also thinks it is good. Some times it is hard to find meals that Ben and I will both like. Ben has quite a few foods that he does not like, including beans, onions, fruit to name a few.
Here are a few pictures of the making of this dinner.
The other day I made stuffed peppers for Danielle and Gongzi (not sure if this is how he spells it) with chicken in the side for the meat eaters. Gongzi made tuna steak for Danielle which was amazing and I am excited to make it for my self someday soon.
While I made the meal I wore the amazing apron I got from Kristen’s mommy.
Add more or less of any of these and add whatever sounds good, it is a very relaxed recipe.
2 cups of cooked rice
1 cup of black beans
1 cup of onions
1 cup of chopped broccoli
1 1/2 cup of shredded cheese or more if you like, I used mozzarella
Salsa- however much you like
5 Red, yellow or orange sweet peppers
-In the past I have also added mushrooms, corn and meat
-My friends mom, Bini puts tomato soup into the mixture also.
-Next time I am going to try some kind of sauce I think
1. In a big bowl add the ingredients you would like to stuff your peppers
I like to have another bowl with cheese in it, that way I can control how much goes into each pepper.
I do not like tomatoes but Danielle and Gongzi do so I had them in a separate tub. Also I forgot to include the salsa in the picture. If you want you can add the salsa to the bowl, I am pick on how much I want in mine.
2. Cut tops of of peppers and remove insides.
3. Blanche peppers- boil each pepper and the lid that you cut off for about 1 min
4. Stuff pepper-
5. Bake for about 30 min, until the peppers look cooked 🙂
I only made three peppers so they fit in a bread pan, normally I just lean them on the edge of a cake pan.
Both Danielle’s meal and mine
1 lb of breakfast sausage
4 cups of milk
1/2 cup of flour
1. Brown sausage break up into small pieces
-season: salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion salt (whatever sounds good)
2. Slowly add 1/2 cup of flour
– add a little flower, stir well, wait till it is absorbed, add more, repeat till its gone
3. added 2 cups of milk, stir for a bit, added another 2 cups
4. cook until thick and creamy
– will thicken up as it could off
If you would like thinner gravy add more milk but be careful because it’s a lot harder to thicken.
–The delicious scrambled eggs were made my Stephine–
This soup is one of our favorites, it is a yummy easy to make comfort food.
2-3 potatoes about 1 inch to 1/2 inch cubes
(the smaller you cut them the less time you need to cook the soup)
2-3 Broccoli florets – frozen or fresh, chopped about 1 pieces
1. Chop and Saute onion
– You can use small, medium or large onion, I like using a large one but I used a small one because Ben does not like onion
– Also I spray the pan with PAM, I try not to use or or butter in my recipes
2. While the onion is sauteing, chop equal parts broccoli and potato
I used 3 potatoes and 3 broccoli florets
3. Added broccoli and potatoes to onions, add just enough water to cover soup or with just a little uncovered, soup with condense as it is cooking
-add seasonings to your liking, I add garlic salt or powder, onion salt or powder, salt and pepper
4. cook for about 20-30 mins, until potatoes easily break when you put a fork though it. They will also be one color when they are fully cooked.
5. Remove a lot of extra water, you can always add some water back in
I save this water to use in soups in the future, this is basicly veggie stock
6.blend soup to your liking
– If you did not take enough water out and the soup is runnier that you would like, you can added instant mashed potatoes.
I use my immersion blender but you can use a normal blender, be careful to not burn your self. It is a good idea to let it sit for a few minute to let it cool.
7. Add toppings if you would like and enjoy 🙂
Our dinners – Fish and broccoli potato soup