So, I am a little disappointed with my tuna steak, I let it defrost in the fridge over night, go me for actually planning this. Then I baked it at 400 degrees for ten mins. I think it was over cooked, I need to do more research in how to cook a tuna steak properly.
Monthly Archives: January 2012
This dish is super easy to make and heathy and delicious. I plan in making this again.
– 1 1/2 uncooked quinoa
– 8oz/ one package of mushroom, sliced
– 3 handful of spinach, sliced
1. Cook quinoa. Add 3 1/4 cup water and 1 1/2 cup quinoa to a pot. Bring to boil, reduce and simmer 20 min.
2. While the quinoa is cooking sauté mushrooms and spinach.
3. Mix all together.
we also cooked chicken but it is not necessary for this dish
I feel like it is quite obvious I have gone a health food kick. I might have over done it of the beans but they were half off, and you can never go wrong with some extra beans sitting around. I am thinking I am going to need to make some chili pretty soon.
Black bean and quinoa burgers
Ingredients 2-3 burgers
1/4 cup dry quinoa
3/4 cup cooked black beans I used canned black beans
a bit of chopped onion
1. Add quinoa and water plus seasonings to pot. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. you will end up with 3/4 cup quinoa, making it equal portions of quinoa and black beans.
2. Add quinoa, black beans, onion to a food processor, blend.
3. Take a burger size portion and fry in pre heated skillet, flip.
4. Make a yummy burger.
It’s a bit more green than when I make it but was still really good. Again, the emersion blender would have been helpful. Ok that is the last time I am going to whine about it.
For lunch I made a pinto bean veggie burger with baked zucchini on the side. I really liked it, it was better than I expected it to be. Next time I am going to make the patty a bit small though. The patty even looked like a meat burger, my roommate was very concerned when she saw me eat some before it was cook because she thought it was raw meat.
Baked zucchini Serving 2-4
– Slice zucchini approximately all the same size.
– Spray baking sheet with cooking spray, put zucchini of baking sheet.
– Season, I used salt, pepper, garlic salt
– Bake about 20 mins
Pinto mushroom burgers Serving 3-4
1 can of pinto beans
about half a box of fresh mushrooms sliced
half a small onion diced
Sliced of avocado if you want
1. Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are soft. Add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
2.Mash the beans. Add the mushrooms and seasonings. Mix together. I would have been using my immersion blender if it still worked 😦
Side note, I have ADD and my rule to using the broiler is I have to stay right in front of the oven and not do any thing else. Yesterday I didn’t fallow my rule and burns the buns. So today I used the toaster and I turn it down to two and this still happened 😦
We had a household dinner the other night. We made burgers, mostly beef burgers but danielle and I ate really yummy mushroom burgers with red pepper and onions and avocado and jo jos on the side.
1. Broil mushroom for about 5 mins.
2. Fry red pepper and onion.
3. Put every thing on a bun.
Sadly, my most beloved kitchen gadget is no longer working. My immersion blender was defeated by my chickpeas, so I am now left with lumpy hummus. When my dad gave me my blender as a birthday gift, I had no idea what it was. He said “you know you can make work-out shakes or blend your eggs with it”. My thought was “well that sounds stupid” but now it has so many many uses. The perfect example is blending soup, you just stick it in to the big pot of soup, no need to be pour boiling soup into a different container. Sigh.
You will be missed immersion blender.
Chicken fajita recipe
Fish with fry mushrooms and zucchini, maybe some rice?
Portobello Mushroom Burger with Avocados
Mushroom pinto bean burger
Asparagus, and Red Pepper Stir-Fry with Quinoa